Kids in Transition to School
Kids in Transition to School – or KITS – is an evidence-based school readiness program developed at the Oregon Social Learning Center. The program provides a boost to children’s literacy, self-regulation, and social skills just prior to kindergarten via a system of positive teaching and behavior change strategies. The program focuses on both children and their families.
The school readiness groups are structured like a kindergarten class. Children attend 2 sessions a week for 8 weeks before the start of kindergarten and 1 session per week for 8 weeks after school starts. A 24-session school readiness group curriculum concentrates on:
- Early literacy skills (e.g., letter names and sounds, concepts about print) during the summer
- Early numeracy skills (e.g., recognizing numbers, counting)
- Self-regulation (e.g., teacher-preferred skills such as sitting still and raising hands)
- Social skills (e.g., cooperation, sharing, recognizing others’ emotions)
Parents attend workshops weekly in the summer and every other week in the fall. A 12-session workshop for parents focuses on:
- Ways to increase early literacy skills at home.
- Establishing school routines to help with transition to kindergarten.
- How to become involved with their children’s schooling.
- How to encourage positive behaviors at home and school.
- Collins Foundation
- Corporation for National and Community Service Social Innovation Fund
- Ford Family Foundation
- Institute of Education Sciences
- Jubitz Family Foundation
- Oregon Community Foundation
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- United Way of Lane County
- Bethel Education Foundation
- Bethel School District
- Creswell School District
- Crow-Applegate-Lorane School District
- DHS Children, Adults & Families Division
- Early Childhood CARES
- Eugene 4J School District
- Eugene Education Foundation
- Junction City School District
- Lane Education Foundation
- Lowell School District
- Marcola School District
- McKenzie School District
- Oak Ridge School District
- Salem-Keizer School District
- South Lane School District
- Siuslaw School District
- Springfield Education Foundation
- Springfield School District